- Be a role model for all aspects of the Coach’s Code of Behaviour.
- Be a model of the ethics and behaviour expected of the players. i.e. Refrain from smoking, drinking, using drugs and swearing when in the presence of your players or have players in your care (road trips).
- Follow, teach and enforce the rules of the game at all times. Do not allow players to bend the rules or challenge the officials.
- Ensure the safety of the athletes with whom they work. This includes: monitoring behavior at all times, controlling the style of play and providing a safe environment.
- At no time become intimately and/or sexually involved with their athletes. This includes requests for sexual favours or threat of reprisal for the rejection of such requests.
- Ensure respect between all participants. The dignity of the individual must be preserved: verbal and physical behaviors that constitute harassment or abuse are unacceptable.
- Never advocate or condone the use of drugs or other banned performance enhancing substances and never provide under age athletes with alcohol.
CODE OF BEHAVIOR FOR COACHES
- I will not allow players to harass or put each other down.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
- I will ensure that all athletes get instruction, support and playing time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly.
- I will never abuse the officials in anyway. (For example, calling out penalties, throwing clip boards, water bottles, hats or banging on the boards or glass if they are upset).
- I will use the process available to lodge any complaints I have about the officiating, and will not take matters into my own hands.
- I will remember there is a reason for failure, it is a part of the learning process and it is my responsibility as a coach to define the problem and find the solution.
- 6. I will remember the game is for the athletes and the goals that I set will reflect the needs of the players rather than my personal goals.
- I will teach my players to play fairly and to follow the Code of Conduct for Players.
- I will not pressure my players to perform at levels I have not prepared them for or in a way that will jeopardize their safety.
Coach/Code of Behaviour Agreement
As a coach in the Cowichan Valley Lacrosse Association, it is a requirement that you read, understand and agree to abide by the Code of Behaviour and the Expectation of the Coaches. Please complete the form below and return to the Head Coach upon completion.
I ___________________________ have read, understand and agree to abide by the Cowichan Valley Lacrosse Association’s Code of Behaviour. I understand that if I am found to have acted in any way that does not comply with the Code of Behaviour that I can be removed from my position as a coach in the Cowichan Valley Lacrosse Program.
Link to PDF: /news_images/org_180/files/EXPECTATIONS%20OF%20THE%20COACHES(1).pdf